[clug] Idle thought: can I migrate processes from a high-power to a low-power system?

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 00:26:47 MST 2013

On 06/03/13 16:52, steve jenkin wrote:
> Last night I started downloading the latest Debian ISO images in
> preparation for an install on a new Desktop PC.
>
> As I left 'wget' running, I thought "geez, I'd like to be able to put my
> PC to sleep and move this transfer to something low-power, like a
> Raspberry Pi."

<snipped>

> My question:
>
>  - Does anyone (routinely) *do* live-migration of long-running tasks,
> especially from hi-spec to low-spec x86 architectures?
>
>  - Across different architectures?

Perhaps your question should be - can I move the *wget* job somewhere else?

If it was then the answer is yes.
 * Stop the process.
 * Move the partially downloaded file somewhere.
 * Resume the process with the same wget command but insert "-r" (resume)

Also - consider using bittorrent instead - it makes things easier for
the servers. You can do both (download an iso from http or use
bittorrent) with aria2(c).

<snipped>

Having read the Really Fine Install guide you are just spending 2
minutes downloading the net install iso for the Recommended installation
method... right?  That way you download only the packages you need, as
you need them (won't someone think of the electrons?).

Only only say that because you say "isos" which just might signify
plural - meaning download >20K of packages most of which you won't need
and many of which will be out of date before you even look at them.

Kind regards