[clug] Calendar server for Debian?

Paul Warren pwarren at pwarren.id.au
Sun Jun 30 20:59:33 MDT 2013

On 01/07/13 12:12, Carlo Hamalainen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to run my own calendar server on my Debian server. My
requirements are pretty basic:

> * Thunderbird as client on my laptop.
> * Something as client on my android phone (Galaxy S3).
>
> So far I have tried:
>
> * calendarserver. Seems ok but (1) I can't get it to send invite
emails, and (2) Thunderbird refuses to manually send invite emails.

> * DAViCal. Works well with Thunderbird but I can't find a free Android
app that interfaces with it.

> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,

I've just set up owncloud[1] on debian, reasonably straightforward setup
for a sysadmin! It does calendar, contacts and file storage services.

For android, I use CalDAV-Sync beta, by Marten Gajda[2], which 2 way
syncs the calendar with your phone.  He also has CardDAV-Sync[3] which
does the same thing, but for contacts.

This is all part of my 'weaning myself off google' project. Now I just
have to make it seamless for the rest of the family and we'll be set ;)

Just tested it with thunderbird, and adding a calendar works fine,,
following the instructions on the owncloud forums[4]

Hope that helps
--
Paul Warren
pwarren.id.au