[clug] Problem upgrading Debian Squeeze to Wheezy

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Sat Jun 29 04:34:57 MDT 2013

On 29/06/13 20:09, Carlo Hamalainen wrote:
> On 29/06/13 18:19, Scott Ferguson wrote:
>> not necessary - I've upgraded a number of servers and desktops from
>> (pure) Squeeze to Wheezy (dovecot is tricky).
>
> What is tricky about dovecot? My email currently goes through dovecot on
> a Debian Squeeze host and I am planning on upgrading to Wheezy soon.
>
> -- Carlo

YMV, my Squeeze boxes running dovecot are all using Virtualmin which may
change things slightly...

Basically:-
ssl certs need to move from /etc/ssl to /etc/dovecot
/etc/dovecont/conf.d/10-ssl.conf needs to altered to reflect that (see
(/usr/share/doc/dovecot-core/README.Debian.gz for confusion)
seems dovecot.pem needs to be in two places at the same time, I'm still
trying to figure it out. So far my solution has been to remove dovecot
on a developement server, dist-upgrade, reinstall and reconfigure, then
use those changes to overwrite the live systems during upgrade (less
than satisfactory). It's a work in progress :(

=========
root at dev1:/etc/apt# dpkg-reconfigure dovecot-core
/usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure: dovecot-core is broken or not fully installed
root at dev1:/etc/apt# dpkg --configure dovecot-core
Setting up dovecot-core (1:2.1.7-7) ...
You already have ssl certs for dovecot.
However you should move them out of /etc/ssl
and into /etc/dovecot and update the configuration
in /etc/dovecot/conf.d/10-ssl.conf accordingly.
See /usr/share/doc/dovecot-core/README.Debian.gz for details.
[....] Starting IMAP/POP3 mail server: dovecotdoveconf: Fatal: Error in
configuration file /etc/dovecot/conf.d/10-ssl.conf line 12: ssl_cert:
Can't open file /etc/dovecot/dovecot.pem: No such file or directory
 failed!
invoke-rc.d: initscript dovecot, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing dovecot-core (--configure):
 dovecot-core

==========
Creating config file /etc/dovecot/conf.d/auth-vpopmail.conf.ext with new
version
You already have ssl certs for dovecot.
However you should move them out of /etc/ssl
and into /etc/dovecot and update the configuration
in /etc/dovecot/conf.d/10-ssl.conf accordingly.
See /usr/share/doc/dovecot-core/README.Debian.gz for details.
==========

I also have had some minor problems with apache2 (none with nginx).
==========
Run '/etc/init.d/apache2 restart' to activate new configuration!
apache2: Syntax error on line 203 of /etc/apache2/apache2.conf: Syntax
error on line 2 of /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/dav_svn.load: Cannot load
/usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_dav_svn.so into server:
/usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_dav_svn.so: undefined symbol:
svn_repos__post_commit_error_str
Action 'configtest' failed.
The Apache error log may have more information.
 failed!
invoke-rc.d: initscript apache2, action "restart" failed.

=============
Starting web server: apache2apache2: Syntax error on line 207 of
/etc/apache2/apache2.conf: Could not open configuration file
/etc/apache2/httpd.conf: No such file or directory
Action 'start' failed.
The Apache error log may have more information.
 failed!
invoke-rc.d: initscript apache2, action "start" failed.

I'm not complaining, I usually don't upgrade production boxes until
stable is a year old - but in this case I want/need 6 months to iron out
problems with moving apps to php5.

I'm much appreciate knowing your experiences, as I'm sure will others.

Kind regards.

---
unless people ask I presume they *don't* want to be cc-ed