[clug] Problem upgrading Debian Squeeze to Wheezy

Ian Matters ian at matters.id.au
Thu Jun 27 21:43:09 MDT 2013

Good afternoon Cluggers.

I just now tried to upgrade an installation of Debian Squeeze to Wheezy and have run into a problem. I've done:

# apt-get update
# apt-get upgrade
# apt-get dist-upgrade
# dpkg --audit
# dpkg --get-selections | grep hold [no packages were on hold]
# aptitude [then pressed "g" and got "No packages are scheduled to be installed, removed or upgraded"]

Then I edited /etc/apt/sources.list changing Squeeze entries to Wheezy entries, the I used:

# apt-get update
# apt-get upgrade
# apt-get dist-upgrade

And rebooted. Then I used:

# apt-get update
# apt-get upgrade

at which point I received the message "0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 911 not upgraded".

I then tried:

# apt-get dist-upgrade

and received the message:

"910 upgraded, 704 newly installed, 70 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 3,810 B/1,080 MB of archives.
After this operation, 741 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
Get:1 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ wheezy/main javascript-common all 7 [3,810 B]
Fetched 3,810 B in 0s (6,003 B/s)
E: Could not perform immediate configuration on 'default-jre'. Please see man 5 apt.conf under APT::Immediate-Configure for details. (2)"

My question is how do I force the installation of the 911 packages?

Ian Matters

<ian at matters.id.au>
---