[clug] USB sticks with two drives (linux Digest, Vol 126, Issue 14, Message 1)

Miles Goodhew mgoodhew at gmail.com
Mon Jun 24 17:06:01 MDT 2013

Craig,

On 25 June 2013 04:00,  <linux-request at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 07:20:56 +1000
> From: Craig Small <csmall at enc.com.au>
>
>   I came across a strange thing with one of my USB sticks.  It was one
> given to me so its not like I was expecting one thing and got another.
>
> When I plug it into my computer, I get two drives (not partitions, but
> sdc and sdd) with different USB IDs appearing.
>
> Anyone seen this before? I've not heard of it.  Not even sure why you'd
> bother given the small size of them.

  FWIW, The SanDisk-led U3 initiative had a second CDRom device with
MS-Windows specific installer software on it (Possibly Mac too, but I
doubt it).

http://u3.sandisk.com/

  I have a similar, more malleable thing called isostick
(http://isostick.com/) that lets you mount your own ISO image as a USB
CDRom. Mini-review: Nice idea, but they're a little flakey, the
boot-switching feature's BIOS/x86-specific and there are several
physical design flaws. Mine died a short time ago, without being ever
being used in anger.

M0les.

--
Miles Goodhew,