[clug] [OT] The Register is trying to crowfund $100-$250K for indep study on NBN

Colin Roe croe at pcug.org.au
Sun Jun 23 05:14:09 MDT 2013

On Sunday 23 June 2013 14:34:42 Duncan Roe wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 09:26:24AM +1000, Sam Couter wrote:
> > Robert Edwards <bob at cs.anu.edu.au> wrote:
> > > Is the NBN really about providing a fat pipe to everyone's home
> > > that they may or may not REALLY NEED, or more about the government
> > > having complete control over your Internet, with no competition -
> > > may make PRISM pale somewhat in comparison.
> >
> > I share your paranoia, but from what I understand it's supposed to work
> > like TransACT: The NBN is just the infrastructure and ISPs compete to
> > provide internet access and other services. That's not to say that it
> > couldn't change on a minister's whim of course.
>
> *As I understand it*, Transact is fibre to the node while NBN is fibre to
> the home. I also understand that Malcolm Turnbull would downgrade NBN to a
> fibre to the node system should his party win government.
>
> Anyone here on Transact? What kind of bandwidth (speed) do you get?
>
> More or less regardless of the answer, it worries me that the cheaper
> solution will become inadequate for future applications.
>
> Cheers ... Duncan.
>

> --
>  Please avoid sending me Word or PowerPoint attachments.
>  See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html

Hi Duncan

Whingepool has had threads on the projected TransACT VDSL2 upgrade project for
quite a while.

If you are interested a relatively recent place to start would be the post by
'Wayne of TransACT' dated 11PM 2013 February 21 at
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2060220

They are suggesting the upgrade to VDSL2 could be finished by early next year
but I'll believe that when I get it.

There's also a more recent TransACT VDSL2 speed test here
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2060220&p=7&#r123 claiming
45 Mbps down and 6.5 up.

My original VDSL is throttled back to 2048/256 but the second link also shows
that TransACT VDSL can do 8 Mbps down and 0.44 up.

Regards
Colin

--
Colin Roe - Torrens ACT Australia (Linux Mint 9)
Soldiers & Nurses of the Queen (Boer War) Index