[clug] [OT] The Register is trying to crowfund $100-$250K for indep study on NBN

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Sat Jun 22 19:47:51 MDT 2013

On 22/06/13 23:38, Robert Edwards wrote:
> On 22/06/13 17:02, Scott Ferguson wrote:
>> On 22/06/13 13:00, steve jenkin wrote:
>>> steve jenkin wrote on 20/06/13 2:08 PM: this lack of real data has
>>> stymied my efforts at producing a reasoned and usable analysis of
>>> both plans since January.
>>>
>>> cheers steve
>>>

>> This lack of real data has allowed both parties to make what ever claim
>> they like.
>>

>> Cheers Scott
>>

> I'm not sure that having or not having real data will stop the
> politicians from making exorbitant claims.

Stop, no.  But the absence of data makes the claims easier. How many
angels fit on the head of a pin stuff - different logic, same schema.

> As Stephen Rothwell
> pointed out, Martin Ferguson claimed in 2010 that:
>
> "Australia will likely need an investment of $100 billion for
> electricity generation and network infrastructure in the next
> 10 years..." (see Stephen's post in this thread).

Which he can easily claim was based on figures provided by the industry
(who make the figures up all on their own using the formula - how much
would we like?)

> Yet we now know that the Electricity utilities used such
> statements to start "gold-plating" their infrastructure and
> massively bumping up the price to the consumer and that the
> government has had to intervene to stop them from over-spending
> (and over-charging) on unnecessary infrastructure.
>
> Is something similar happening with the NBN? Is it a gold-plated
> service that we don't REALLY NEED and can't really afford?

Betteridge's Law Of Headlines? ;)

Will A Huge Pile Of Money Attract The Unscrupulous?

> And another question:
>
> Is the NBN really about providing a fat pipe to everyone's home
> that they may or may not REALLY NEED, or more about the government
> having complete control over your Internet, with no competition -
> may make PRISM pale somewhat in comparison.

I've been pointing out the "likelihood that even if complete monitoring
was not part of the plan for the NBN it would be to attractive *not* to
implement at some stage"... with predictable reactions all along.

Perhaps I should rephrase the question(?)

Will A Huge Pipe Of Money Attract The Unscrupulous?