[clug] which 8xSATA controller?

Eyal Lebedinsky eyal at eyal.emu.id.au
Sat Jun 1 18:43:34 MDT 2013

Good morning everyone,

I am looking at upgrading my RAID and want a modern (SATA-III) controller to replace
my old IBM SAS3082E-R (SATA-II).
I run software RAID6, but will also consider zfs (please comment).

It seems that a common controller is the HighPoint RocketRAID 2720SGL, which I understand
has good linux support.

Q1: is the non-RAID variety of this card as suitable? Maybe Linux uses some of the
RAID features (e.g. XOR engine) even with software RAID? Is it even using the same
chipset?

Q2: Is there a better controller today, with good support? Amortizing the cost over
the cost of the disks makes it not very price sensitive.

TIA

--
Eyal Lebedinsky	(eyal at eyal.emu.id.au)