[clug] OT: ANU outsourcing email to outlook.com

Gary Woodman antigramp at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 05:16:33 MDT 2013

On 23/07/13 11:49, Andrew Donnellan wrote:
> On 23/07/13 11:16, Carlo Hamalainen wrote:
>> * ANU: Microsoft Outlook
>> * Monash: Google gmail
>>
>> Any others?
>>
>> I wonder what they do with all that email.
>
> I know USyd and UNSW have also just transitioned to Office 365

USQ outsourced student email to Google in 2009. Staff email is still
in-house (maintained by my immediate colleagues and I). I don't think
there is much appetite for passing that on, due to privacy,
confidentiality, and legal concerns already mentioned in this thread.

> At least with the Office 365 setup it's
> /contractually/ under university control, albeit not
> physically/technically

As one of our contractors pointed out, "you'd be replacing your entire
self-hosted email infrastructure with a piece of paper". Bring on the
lawyers' picnic.

Gary