[clug] Linux LVM or cache solutions for SSD + HDD

Jamie Carl jazz at funkynerd.com
Thu Jan 24 20:49:25 MST 2013

On 25/01/13 14:38, Carlo Hamalainen wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 11:38 AM, Jamie Carl <jazz at funkynerd.com
> <mailto:jazz at funkynerd.com>> wrote:
>
>     It'sa 750GB Seagate Momentus XT which has 8GB of SSD storage in
>     it.  It
>     keeps the OS in the SSD, I think by access time after start-up.  The
>     more you boot the faster it gets until everythingyou use regularly
>     is on
>     the SSD.  This approachmakes it OS independent (using mine under
>     Linux).  Pretty cool and fast little drive.
>

> How many boots did it take for boot times to stabilise?
>
> --
> Carlo Hamalainen
> http://carlo-hamalainen.net

Hard to say.  Around 5-ish.  No more than 10.  Not long at all really.
The notebook is dual-boot so I think it's even managed to keep a bit of
Windows 7 in there as well.  Booting into either Linux or Windows is
pretty quick.

If you're bored, Seagate have some guff on it here:
http://www.seagate.com/tech-insights/adaptive-memory-in-sshd-master-ti/

Jamie