[clug] [OT] With Coders like these, how far can Apple go?

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Mon Jan 14 20:26:35 MST 2013

On 15/01/2013, at 13:41 , steve jenkin <sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au> wrote:

> I like that Linus doesn't push the view that "kernel programming is only
> for Gods of Code" (I haven't got that message, others may correct me).

Apple doesn't push the view of "kernel programming is only for Gods of Code" either. To characterise Apple's message as "kernel programming is only for Gods of Code" is clearly attempting to subvert the message with your own politics.

Apple and Linus both have the same message to impart: kernel programming is not and activity to enter into lightly. It requires discipline and bears the responsibility of never ever breaking application code that worked with the previous version of the same kernel.

In our own Canberra based Linux using community there are people who are exceptional in their ability to perform with discipline and caution, while being immeasurably motivated to achieve their goals. If there was a pill I could take to give me half the motivation an discipline that someone like Tridge or Linus has, I'd be happily paying a thousand dollars a month for that drug (legal or otherwise). In the meantime the best I can do is remember to put my shoes on the right feet in the morning (shoes after pants) and hope that Linus never has reason to look at any of my code.

Is Tridge a "god of code" or is he merely better than the average mortal?