[clug] [OT] With Coders like these, how far can Apple go?

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Mon Jan 14 18:51:14 MST 2013

On 15/01/2013, at 12:29 , steve jenkin <sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au> wrote:

> I was gob-smacked at some statements I saw on the Apple Developer site...
>
> They have a section entitled:
>
> "Keep Out: Why You Should Avoid Programming in the Kernel"
> [It's a black art and too hard/perfect for ordinary mortals.]

Are you suggesting that kernel programming is easy and that anyone should just hack around willy nilly without any concern for repercussions to the millions of people who rely on that kernel for their daily computing needs?

What happens if you try hacking in the Linux kernel? You get filtered by dozens of people before any patch gets to Linus' right hand men. Stuff only gets into the Linux kernel when it's been reviewed by a cadre of people smarter than you when it comes to kernel programming.

Then there are the manufacturers who package dodgy drivers with their hardware, which needlessly reaches into kernel space and messes it up. Sure, your scanner works, but after a few hours of operation the machine kernel panics. This is why people who don't know what they are doing should keep their grubby mitts out of the kernel.

Can you elucidate upon the reasons for your shock and surprise?

Alex