[clug] voice to text software

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 04:45:18 MST 2013

On 12/01/13 22:25, Tomasz Ciolek wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I am looking for a voice to text application. there are 2 things I want to be able to do:
>
> 1. to re-play an ogg/flacc of a conversartion/interview and get a text based transcript of what was said
> 2. dictate into a document so that I don't have to type so much...
>
> Anyone know of a reasonable solution to these problems?
>
> Tomasz

Unfortunately the best current solution seems to be Dragon's commercial
product. I'm not sure if it'll handle ogg or flacc - you may have to
convert (sorry - I don't have the resources to start another VM at time
of writing this). I've been unable to get the latest version working in
WINE so have resorted to VirtualBox (sigh). It does 'just work' though
(as in accurate, and doesn't require more than ten minutes training for
common note transcription).

I'd love to hear of an FLOSS alternative - preferably for KDE like Simon
http://simon-listens.blogspot.co.at/2012/05/simon-usability.html - which
is making significant progress, but is still not on par with Dragon.

I haven't checked up on GNU OpenMind recently - you might try that.

Kind regards