[clug] Finding your smartphone... [Where did I put it down?]

Warren Gardner warrenjgardner at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 04:31:51 MST 2013

I have AVG for android mobiles.

http://www.avgmobilation.com/android/antivirus-pro
('Anti-theft : Locate a lost or stolen phone' halfway down the page)

It has pretty much all the features previously discussed (except response
to whistling, but I am a really bad whistler anyway).

I have not tested it but specific text messages can make it ring loudly,
turn on location features and tell you where it is, turn the phone off, or
unlock the phone.

-ScreamMyPhone [set password]
-LocateMyPhone [set password]
-LockMyPhone [set password]
-UnlockMyPhone [set password]

This can also be done (plus wipe the phone and scan the phone for security
threats) from the web with the help of Google maps.
http://www.avgmobilation.com/remote-management
When I am logged in to this page it tells me the current status of my phone

-Is Locked : No
-Is Wiped : No

and my device details. It also tells me my lock screen note. In my case
this note is; if found please call my landline.

I have tested this app via the above link. I now know none of the features
work if the phone is not GPS capable. Why my phone needs GPS to ring I do
not know. My phone can use towers and the presence other peoples wifi to
locate it's own position (to about 5 - 10 meters) but AVG is unable to hook
into that information.

As I said I have not tested this service by way of text messages. It
appears the sentence in the text message is set for each action. So maybe
whoever owns the phone use to locate my phone will then be able to locate
me any time they wish.

Regards
Warren

Warren Gardner