[clug] Finding your smartphone... [Where did I put it down?]

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Tue Jan 8 23:57:45 MST 2013

On 09/01/2013, at 17:40, steve jenkin <sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au> wrote:

> One of the favourite gadgets they had (but I only saw it demo'd, didn't
> buy), was a "key finder":
>
> - attach finder to your keys/keyring
> - responds to a whistle by beeping.
> - some geeks thought this was cool, along with Digital Watches and
> pocket protectors :-)

A smartphone can't afford to be continually waking up the audio hardware to listen for a whistle, unless you want to drastically reduce the battery life.

The most successful way I have found to ensure that I never leave my phone behind has been using a cover that doubles as a wallet. This way I have one less thing to remember: keys, wallet, phone. Now if only my phone could be used as a car/house key …

Another option is to always keep the phone in a specific pocket: then do the keys/wallet/phone check when you prepare to exit the current location.

Simply not having a phone means you will never leave it behind anywhere.

Alex