[clug] Any experience in collaborative authoring using Version Control and Latex??

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 03:18:59 MST 2013

>> The Google tool takes care of versioning and its
>> all-of-us-edit-at-once capability is just lovely.
>
> I second Mike on this.  Especially as Drive supports OpenDocument both
> for import and export.

Third.  Don't underestimate the motivation provided by real time
collaborative editing between a group of geographically separated
people. Then add in a chat window beside it and comments and I'm sold.
It skips the whole, you do a version and send it to me and then I'll
procrastinate for a day and send it on and then and then... Google
drive on the phone is also very decent with offline editing
capability.

I use google docs all the time to kickstart things, not always to
finish but to get all the ideas and structure down. Sometimes we
finish things there sometimes not.

If you must stick in the 1980's with Latex (I know I did for far too
long) then the online compromise I have reached with others who still
insist on Latex is to put the .tex file in a github repo. I then edit
it online using githubs excellent online editing tools. I then have a
small makefile on my desktop to make the DVI/PDF in which the first
step is a git pull to a local git repository.

Seems to work.