[clug] Dumb user question: 2+TB disks, MBR & BIOS...

Brett Worth brett at worth.id.au
Wed Jan 2 00:08:00 MST 2013

On 02/01/13 17:18, Hal Ashburner wrote:
> Plugged a 3TB usb drive into the box. Formatted it to ext4 and started
> using it. Didn't know there might be an issue with that and didn't find
> one. Haven't tried to boot of it though.

Hal,

Did you partition that drive?  This is a bit of a grey area.  i.e. should I be just using
drives with a 4K block size (The Microsoft Windows approach) or should I be using a GPT
partition table?

I've only every gone the GPT route but I've also never tried using a >2TB drive  to boot
from.  Obviously I've never tried to boot from a GPT partitioned drive.

Also the 4K block size approach only gets you to 16TB.  We'll be using drives that size in
a fortnight or two.

Brett

--