[clug] Dumb user question: 2+TB disks, MBR & BIOS...

Andrew Donnellan andrew at donnellan.id.au
Tue Jan 1 23:06:29 MST 2013

On 02/01/13 16:48, steve jenkin wrote:
> I guess I'm wondering if modern Desktops and white-box servers support
> UEFI, rather than BIOS.
>
> I'm sure I've read that Linux does UEFI. [not sure, but it's the
> ultimate glue and generally supports All Known Hardware]
>
> And, IIRC, there was a thread on-list about GPT partitions (suggested
> tool gparted?? can't recall) not too long ago.
> Think it was mainly "what tool do I use

Can't say for desktops, but I'm writing this from my UEFI-compliant,
GPT-partitioned (with parted), Debian-running laptop. I had a few
installation issues (getting UEFI installation media, installing a UEFI
bootloader correctly) but after that it's been working fine. Though it's
probably distro dependent - I know the Debian installer's UEFI support
is fairly new.

> Application:
>
>  - If I'm buying a laptop and want to connect a 3-4TB drive via USB or
> something, are there any gotchas or prerequisites?

I'd expect you wouldn't have any problems with a reasonably new kernel
that supports GPT.

Andrew