[clug] Chasing a Cheap Android Tablet

Jamie Carl jazz at funkynerd.com
Sun Feb 17 16:20:30 MST 2013

On 18/02/13 10:06, Owen wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 19:33:41 +1100
> jm <jeffm at ghostgun.com> wrote:
>
>> Been eying off tablets for a while but can't really justify the price
>> of the high end big brand models. Poking around the Internet it seems
>> that there is an emerging number of cheap models out there. As my
>> requirements are rather relaxed beyond a few key features I should be
>> able to find a suitable unit. So far I've found plethora  of models
>> but am having trouble separating the wheat from the chaff.  If any
>> one would care to venture their opinion or experiences here's my
>> rough list of requirements,
>>

>> * USB on the go
>> * Wifi  preferably full a/b/n
>> * Don't need 3G
>> * Approximately a 10 inch display
>> * Capacitive screen with multi-touch
>> * Good display quality (resolution, viewing angle, contrast, etc)
>> * Android 4.x
>> * Future O/S updates for at least a couple of years
>> * Built in speakers
>> * Headphone connector (3.5mm stereo)
>> * Microphone
>> * Microphone plug would be a nice to have but not necessary
>> * Large battery capacity 8+ hours of running time
>> * Decent CPU as I may wish to run Octave and a few other apps that
>> take as much CPU as you can give them.
>> * 8GB or more of flash storage
>> * SD or other removable storage would be nice
>> * Reasonably durable (which may include the use of a leather case)
>>

>> The question I have the most difficulty answering is which
>> manufactures have a history of providing ongoing support including
>> O/S upgrades? Which models are most open?
>

> I see Aldi are offering an el cheapo next Saturday that might meet your
> needs, but I would hazard a guess that upgrades are not part of the
> deal.

When they are back in stock:
https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_10_16gb

Having owned a few "cheap" tablets I will offer a warning.  You get what
you pay for.  Most of the really cheap ones are only resistive touch
making them all but unusable.  My mum bought one of those Aldi tablets
and loves it.  I played with it once, tapped the screen twice, declared
my abhorrence, and refused to use it again.  I guess perception is
relative, or something.

If you want a decent tablet for a pretty low cost, consider dumping the
10" screen requirement and get a 7".  The Google Nexus 7 is pretty much
the bee's knees at $249.  And they're in stock:
https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_7_16gb

Either that or look at second-hand.  Yesterdays "high-end" is today's
"still way better than cheap crap".

/2c

Jamie