[clug] .com vs .org

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Wed Feb 6 15:59:36 MST 2013

On 07/02/13 08:11, Scott Ferguson wrote:
> On 06/02/13 11:06, Keith Sayers wrote:
>> 	Something of an aside to this, last year I found myself dealing
>> professionally with an organisation announcing themselves as 'Incorporated in
>> the ACT'.  When I checked with the ACT registrar I found they had not lodged
>> accounts for the past several years and did not have a public officer resident
>> in the ACT - both 'legal' requirements - but apparently the registrar turns a
>> blind eye .....
>> Keith Sayers                                 keiths at apex.net.au
>> 6 Clambe Place
>> CHARNWOOD, ACT 2615,
>> Australia                          http://www.apex.net.au/~keiths
>
> And ASIC allowing company registrations that don't use the physical
> business location. (virtual office cutouts)
>
> And property owners taking over the nature strip, and footpath, and
> forcing pedestrians to walk on the road.
>
> And children playing on lawns...
>
> I'll return to working now.
>

> Kind regards

Thanks to everyone who responded to my query. It wasn't particularly
Linux/FOSS related to start with, but discussion appears to have gone
way off-topic now.

My conclusion from the responses here and elsewhere is that there isn't
some myth spreading around that .coms are "safer" than .orgs and that
the original comment was either mis-informed or somewhat confused.

Back to cutting excellent code now, everyone!

Bob Edwards.