[clug] .com vs .org

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 16:49:10 MST 2013

On 06/02/13 10:15, Robert Edwards wrote:
> On 05/02/13 22:58, Scott Ferguson wrote:
>
>> But back to Bob's original question. Is an .org safer than a .com (or
>> the 2LD equivalents)?
>
> Actually, that's not quite my original question... My question was more:
> where did this LCA delegate (therefore a relatively informed FOSSil)

Aaah

> get the idea that a .com was safer than a .org?

> Or was it a reference to a line in a movie? A well-known weblog? A web
> cartoon? Was she being ironic parodying some speech by someone famous?
>
> Or was she just plain mis-informed? If so, how many others are similarly
> mis-informed and where is the mis-information coming from?

No idea - I did do a cursory Google the other day (and my fu is usually
strong) - but couldn't come up with anything except a poor poll from 4
years ago that rate .org over .net for trust

http://polldaddy.com/poll/1025170/

Perhaps what was meant was "avoid the .org version of a trusted .net or
.com domain". ie. commbank.org.au
??

Context - it's complicated :)

> As for me, I have my own .org and administer at least one .org.au and
> a .asn.au - both with incorporated association registrations, and I
> generally try to avoid most sites that are .com, but not for "safety"
> reasons...

Then you'll understand my puzzlement - it's far easier to produce proof
of a commercial enterprise (what's your ABN? - conman reads side of
passing truck). That is - when proof is required.

Some US resellers give away .org domains (they make money on it though -
just not transparently). They are supposed to check for 501 status,
which is tougher to get than the Oz equivalent.
That's about the only thing I can think of that might provide substance
to the idea that .org is less trustworthy. Which is weird as .coms are
also free with similar scams (no free lunch)

I did mean to check the stats with Google of the number of malware
listing for sites by *LD type, but, um, lost interest (sorry).

Although I also note that 'some' North Americans (of a Republican
persuasion) take a dim view of any NGO (what they call non-profit). I
recently had a "discussion" with one about our "blood sucking" Blood
Bank that just did my head in - I know the NAmerican equivalent is
different - but still... 9/11 conspiracy nonsense and paranoid vitriol
from a well educated, well travelled,  merchant banker. Go figure.

> Thanks everyone for your thoughts so far - still looking for that
> elusive reference, if it even exists...
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bob Edwards.

Kind regards