[clug] .com vs .org

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Tue Feb 5 16:15:40 MST 2013

On 05/02/13 22:58, Scott Ferguson wrote:

> But back to Bob's original question. Is an .org safer than a .com (or
> the 2LD equivalents)?

Actually, that's not quite my original question... My question was more:
where did this LCA delegate (therefore a relatively informed FOSSil)
get the idea that a .com was safer than a .org?

Or was it a reference to a line in a movie? A well-known weblog? A web
cartoon? Was she being ironic parodying some speech by someone famous?

Or was she just plain mis-informed? If so, how many others are similarly
mis-informed and where is the mis-information coming from?

As for me, I have my own .org and administer at least one .org.au and
a .asn.au - both with incorporated association registrations, and I
generally try to avoid most sites that are .com, but not for "safety"
reasons...

Thanks everyone for your thoughts so far - still looking for that
elusive reference, if it even exists...

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.