[clug] .com vs .org

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Mon Feb 4 20:14:12 MST 2013

On 05/02/13 13:17, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi Bob,
>
> On Tue, 05 Feb 2013 13:12:37 +1100 Robert Edwards <bob at cs.anu.edu.au> wrote:
>>
>> Can any of the fine minds on this list suggest what she may have been
>> referring to by this remark, that dot coms are to be trusted more than
>> dot orgs?
>
> Personally, I would not trust a web site just because it was a .com or
> a .org - anyone can register either name with no proof of anything.  The
> trust belongs to the particular site.

I would totally agree with that.

Does anyone know of any high-, medium-, or even low-, profile case of a
.org having disclosed trusted user information, either deliberately or
by compromise? There are plenty of such cases in the .com TLD...

I guess I would have to concur with Scott (I usually do) that she may
have been confused, but it was said with a certain amount of authority
and a hint of a reference to something that I feel I should know about.

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.