[clug] .com vs .org

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Mon Feb 4 19:12:37 MST 2013

A delegate at the recent, excellent, LCA2013 remarked to me the other
day that she felt "safe" using a popular web-search engine: "... and
anyway, at least it's a dot com, not a dot org".

I've been trying to find any background to this remark, which seemed
to me at the time to have been a quote or reference to something that
I maybe should know about, but so far have not been able to uncover
anything.

Can any of the fine minds on this list suggest what she may have been
referring to by this remark, that dot coms are to be trusted more than
dot orgs?

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.