[clug] Problem getting a working IPv6 connection

Simon Fowler simon at himi.org
Fri Feb 1 04:50:32 MST 2013

I'm trying to get a dual stack setup working here with my home
network, connected via Internode. I've got an older model modem that
doesn't support IPv6 itself, so instead I'm bridging the connection
through to my server (Debian, currently testing) and running
everything through that. This setup works very nicely with IPv4, but
when it comes to v6 it's not so great.

Internode uses prefix delegation to hand out a statically assigned
/56 block to each customer, as well a link-local (i.e. fe80::)
address for each end of the PPP link. I'm using wide-dhcp6-client to
handle dhcpv6 for this, and it's working properly as far as I can
tell - I get the prefix delegation, and dhcp6c sets up the correct
addresses on the internal interfaces, which radvd then hand out
exactly as they should. I can ping the remote end of the PPP link
without any issues (once I figured out that ping6 requires you to
specify the interface in this case). The problem is, I can't ping
anything beyond the remote end of the link - everything I send
disappears.

Initially I had a set of firewall rules set up (after all, with v6
my internal network is visible to the outside world - that's half
the point of setting this up). When I realised there were problems,
I tossed the whole thing, flushed everything and still got the same
result. I also tried manually going in and setting up all the global
addresses, to make sure that there wasn't something odd going on
with the way dhcp6c was doing stuff - no change. I even tried
setting the link MTU to something less than the 1492 that it
defaults to, just in case there was something odd going on there -
no change again.

Finally, the Internode tech support line was surprisingly well
informed about IPv6, but were a bit lost when it came to my setup -
they couldn't suggest anything very useful, and their last
suggestion so far was to try a different ADSL modem. I don't know
how that will make any difference, since the modem is simply
bridging the connection across to my server which is handling
everything above that layer (which includes all the IPv6 stuff)

So, to summarise: I have a notionally working IPv6 PPP link (since I
can ping the far end), but it doesn't seem to be able to send
anything to the outside world and the outside world doesn't seem to
be able to send anything back. This is very secure, but I think I'd
like a little more functionality from my network . . .

Oh, one final note: the IPv4 side of things works perfectly in this
setup - it's how I'm sending this email right now.

Can anyone suggest anything that I might have missed, or that the
Internode people might have missed? I'm totally at a loss here.

Simon

--
PGP public key Id 0x96263cef
Homepage: http://himi.org