[clug] matlab alternatives

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Thu Aug 15 03:55:18 MDT 2013

> Eigen - very high performance c++ header files - no installation - cross platform, g++

Probably, I've never used it so I'm probably not a real mathematicianist.

> GNU Octave - will be totally gangster, but still not 100% functioning (finished) on all platforms?

Well for my humble needs, (typically numerical algebra/matrix
operations) it works fine, certainly a great port of call when porting
a MATLAB routine someone has sent you.

> R - great for stats

Indeed, and handles large data reasonably well.

> Other people might have better suggestions - I would be interested too =)

NumPy is the typical glue I use most days. But then we have written
our own libraries for the neuroimaging file formats we use (along with
R), so it's a bit of a no-brainer.