[clug] SparkleShare vs. Dropbox

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Sun Apr 14 20:06:48 MDT 2013

On my Mac, Dropbox takes about 32k to record its own metadata for a few thousand files.

There is no local version control, but I don't really case since my main use for Dropbox is quickly sending files back and forth between platforms (I.e.: a faster file transfer than tapping through an email client). I also have O'Reilly books shipped to me through Dropbox.

The no-go decision formSparkleShare for me was simply the space required combined with the platforms it is available for. I can host individual git/Mercurial/etc projects and have only the stuff I am working on present on my laptop. I had previously considered using a VCS to manage all my documents, but having a 100% overhead on my 35G music collection and 200G photos collection puts a damper on using something like SparkleShare on a laptop with only 250G of disk.