[clug] SparkleShare vs. Dropbox

Bob Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Sun Apr 14 17:32:49 MDT 2013

I have been using SparkleShare recently (http://sparkleshare.org), which
is a "Dropbox replacement" built on all the goodness of git and ssh etc.
(and you can easily run your own server, so complete control over your
files etc. - also runs on Macs, 'doze and Linux - but not Android, yet).

Anyway, being built on top of git, SparkleShare ends up using up to
twice the disk space on each client as compared to just the files it
is managing.

Eg. I have about 1.5GB of PDFs in a shared "folder" on my client and
git adds another 1.4GB for its compressed, cryptographically hashed
"repository" of those files. On the server, it only stores the 1.4GB
of git stuff, but on each other client that is syncing with my share,
there is the same git "overhead".

Anyway, I was wondering what disk space overheads Dropbox imposes. As
I don't use Dropbox, I was wondering if someone on the list who does
could let me know what extra disk space it might be using.

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.