[clug] Does anyone have experience using Unison with source code repositories?

Paul C. Leopardi paul.leopardi at anu.edu.au
Wed Apr 3 01:17:47 MDT 2013

Hi all,
After having almost lost work on the computer in my office at ANU, I am
determined to keep at least part of its file system synched to my laptop. Both
are running Kubuntu 12.04. After having also been burnt by using unmaintained
parts of Krusader (e.g. the sync part) I have decided on using Unison.

My problem is that I have lots of software build directories under CVS, SVN
and Git, containg files produced by autotools and configure that differ
between my two machines, and I also have directories containing TeX files with
symlinks to files in other directoris on one of my machines and the
correspoding directory on the other machine containing the file contents
rather than a symlink. In other words, my first sync will be a diogs breakfast
of conflicts.

Does anyone have experience using Unison with source code repositories and
build directories? Does this web page help?
http://www.pgbovine.net/git-unison.htm
What about symlinks?
All the best, Paul
--