[clug] SSD drives and lots of writes

Steve McInerney steve at stedee.id.au
Mon Sep 24 00:31:51 MDT 2012

Ahh this sounds like cargo culting of "accepted wisdom" from the early days of
SSDs.

1. "shorter" is subjective:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20070643-1/storage-talk-understanding-your-solid-state-drive/
====
So how long is long? To help users estimate how long an SSD will last, SSD
vendors such as OCZ have come up with formula: a drive's life span equals its
capacity multiplied by its write endurance rating, divided by the average
daily writes. For example, the 120GB Vertex 3 SSD has a write endurance rating
of 3,000 cycles. If you write 50GB on the drive daily, the total number of
days the drive will last before becoming unreliable is: (120 x 3,000)/50 =
7,200 days, which is about 20 years. If you write an average of 100GB a day,
the drive would last about 10 years.
====

If you're still using a magnetic disk after 10 years, more power and risk to
you, let alone an SSD. :-)

More seriously, in 10 years, where would we expect the size of then current
SSD's to be? 2002, they were around... 60Gb?
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/15-years-of-hard-drive-history,1368-2.html
vs 1-2Tb 10 years later.
I'd be expecting to see 1-3Tb SSD's as being "common" buys in 10 years time.

So ignoring the "shortened" lifespan, I'd suggest that by the end of life of
the disk you'll be laughing how you ever managed to fit anything on the thing
in the first place.

2. Windows and it's pagefile.
If lots of writes killed a drive, then the net would be *full* of advice for
folks to move their windows pagefile.sys off the SSD; my googlefu suggests
it's the exact opposite.

Personally, skip the asking for thoughts; go and google for the facts. :-)

Cheers!
- Steve