[clug] 3TB (4k sector) disk question

rodneyp at pcug.org.au rodneyp at pcug.org.au
Tue Sep 4 18:05:28 MDT 2012

On Tue, 4 Sep 2012 04:52:18  eyal at eyal.emu.id.au wrote:
> Message: 8
> Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2012 20:52:07 +1000
> From: Eyal Lebedinsky <eyal at eyal.emu.id.au>
> To: linux at lists.samba.org
> Subject: Re: [clug] 3TB (4k sector) disk question
>
> Thanks Rod,
>
> As you suggest at the end, and as I reported early today, the problem was
> the SATA controller which did not handle the required protocol (LBA48?).
>
> Once connected to the mobo, the disk showed up with the full size.
>
> cheers
>         Eyal
According to:

www.48bitlba.com/overview.htm

LBA 48 was required to get beyond 128 GiB,   The limitation in the IBM SATA
controller must have been something else.

It would be useful for others on the list to know what  caused the limit.  A
likely suspect  is SATA spec.   Would you please check what SATA level the two
controllers support.

--
Rod