[clug] OT: Location from IP

Alex (Maxious) Sadleir maxious at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 04:31:09 MDT 2012

"If you allow a website to get your location via this service, we will
collect, depending on the capabilities of your device, information
about the wifi routers closest to you, cell ids of the cell towers
closest to you, and the strength of your wifi or cell signal."
http://www.google.com/privacy/lsf.html
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Using_geolocation

Google Street View cars and people with Android devices have GPS and
wifi antennas, they upload their position and strength of local wifi
networks periodically and using triangulation - bam! accurate location
for those devices without GPS!

Apple iOS devices collect similar data secretly. Someone worked out it
was just an sqlite database file called "consolidated.db" of all the
places they had taken their iPhone, there were some pretty cool/creepy
visualisations of daily life:
http://www.idownloadblog.com/2011/04/22/closer-look-at-iphones-location-tracking-database/
http://howto.wired.com/wiki/Find_Stored_iPhone_Location_Data_on_your_Computer
iOS 4.3.3,fixed this by clearing out the database once it's sent
anonymously to Apple and not copying the file unencrypted to your PC
when you backup.

And on the FOSS side, there's a project to do this with mobile devices
while sharing the raw data as well http://openbmap.org/