[clug] Open Source Android Backup S/W

Chris Smart clug at christophersmart.com
Tue Oct 16 23:54:28 MDT 2012

On 17/10/12 09:31, jm wrote:
> Finally moving to a new phone. All the camera images are on the SD card,
> but I need to move the contacts and SMS/MMS messages across.

I don't know if you can do it in 1.6, but newer releases you can export
your contacts. Just go to people, option key, export to SD card. Import
is reverse.

There is no similar export for sms's but there are some free backup
tools in market (again, not sure about 1.6 compatibility):
https://play.google.com/store/search?q=sms+backup&c=apps

If that fails, the sms's are stored in some database files, something like:
/data/data/com.android.providers/telephony/databases/mmssms.db

Again, the file format or location might have changed since 1.6.

You might want to do a find for anything with sms under /data in case
there are multiples. If you have USB debugging enabled, you can connect
via adb and pull the files onto your pc, copy with terminal app, or some
file managers might let you browse to /data and copy to sd card.

-c