[clug] Stupid make question... What commands/parameters get issued?

Brendan Jurd direvus at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 18:42:58 MST 2012

On 20 November 2012 12:29, steve jenkin <sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au> wrote:

> I'm trying to understand where some problems in a build (conflicting
> headers) are coming from, and it'd be really helpful to know exactly
> what commands and parameters are being issued.

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding your question, but doesn't make do that by
default? [1]

Normally, if you *don't* want to see the commands being issued by make, you
have to put an @ symbol in front of each command in the recipe.  Otherwise
everything that is executed is also echoed to stdout.

If the pseudo-rule .SILENT appears in your Makefile, then make will behave
as if you had specified -s/--silent.

Cheers,
BJ

[1] http://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/make.html#Echoing