[clug] GNOME 3 in trouble according to El reg. True or a beat up?

Ben Davies bdcrux at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 04:49:27 MST 2012

On 5 November 2012 21:22, Ian Bardsley <ifb777 at tpg.com.au> wrote:
> I have until recently stayed back in the Gnome 2.xx era to avoid Gnome 3
> (and Unity) but have recently moved to Mint with Cinnamon Desktop and with
> some effort now have the same level of functionality that I enjoyed with
> Gnome 2 since my Linux journey started 5 or 6 years ago.

I tried Unity after Ubu 10.10 (?) was released, but ditched it for the
old gnome UI after a few mins.

More recently, I've been mucking about with Lubuntu (Ubuntu with
LXDE), which has been on the whole positive. The UI is snappy on old
H/W, although lacks a few niceties which were useful with gnome. Some
of the default apps are quite lightweight, so they have occasional
missing features. I still need to get around to researching/sorting
out monitor switching. Generally speaking, the UI doesn't get in the
way of doing work, and has been pretty straightforward to tweak.

Has anyone here tried Xubuntu?

Ben