[clug] CLUG Video page

Brendan Jurd direvus at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 19:12:28 MST 2012

On 4 November 2012 22:37, Paul Wayper <paulway at mabula.net> wrote:

> On 11/02/2012 10:00 AM, James Ring wrote:
> > Have you considered uploading them to youtube? It's free and they will be
> > there for the benefit of others even if the torrents are gone.
>
> I've considered it.  Mostly I'm against it, for a couple of reasons.  When
> Youtube:

* won't take a video down when a copyright infringement bot flags something
> incorrectly.
> * allows people to download the original video in the original format so
> they can use it when youtube is unavailable.

Those are very reasonable objections against making YouTube the *only*
accessible location for the videos.  But why not offer them as torrents on
your own website (as you've already done), and also upload them to YouTube
for convent viewing?  If YouTube does something nasty to the videos,
doesn't matter as the originals still exist.  If people want to download
the originals, that's okay because they still exist.

Cheers,
BJ