[clug] what is best way to migrate a whole computer's content to another?

Nemo Maelstrom Thorx clug at nemo.house.cx
Thu Mar 8 17:59:28 MST 2012

On 09 Mar (a Friday in 2012) around 1041 hours, Mike Carden did utter:
> I suggest taking the opportunity to eliminate the accumulated cruft
> from the old machine and only copy across the things that you actually
> need. I'm pretty sure that we all end up with stuff that we don't
> really need or want lurking on machines that we've used for a few
> years.

"a few years" is putting it mildly. I had dotfile cruft going back over
a decade. Interestingly, I started a relatively clean $HOME wipe around
newyear, and have been blogging about it

http://blog.thorx.net/2011/12/but-that-was-my-home/

...though I've restored all the big directories which have various
cruft lurking still (including multiple old copies of stuff - in some
cases directories labelled by *floppy disk name*  :)

dotfile crift is my enemy though...

.../nemo