[clug] what is best way to migrate a whole computer's content to another?

Carlo Hamalainen carlo.hamalainen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 16:37:53 MST 2012

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 8:53 AM, jhock <jhock at iinet.net.au> wrote:
> I have bought a new computer and I want to move all the stuff I have on
> my old EeePC to the new one. I have a 1 terrabyte external hard drive
> that I can use for temporary storage. Of course I will backup all my
> data directories before attempting anything. ;--)

Have you just done a vanilla install and not tweaked anything in
/etc/*? If so you can just rsync your home directory to the new
machine. Perhaps make a note of all installed packages on your
original machine

    dpkg -l | grep '^ii' | cut -f 3 -d ' ' | tr '\n' ' '

so that you can easily do an "apt-get install" on the new one.

I'm sure other people will pipe up about cfengine and other nice things.

--
Carlo Hamalainen
http://carlo-hamalainen.net