[clug] database backups with git

Martin Schwenke martin at meltin.net
Mon Jun 11 21:53:49 MDT 2012

On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 13:19:38 +1000, Ian Munsie
<darkstarsword at gmail.com> wrote:

> > The other thing was that the repo grew a lot unless I garbage
> > collected.  After garbage collecting I was left with (I think) a single
> > pack...  and that wasn't rsync friendly.
>
> I wouldn't recommend rsyncing a git repository, and why would you when
> there is a much more suitable tool for the job... git!
> Just git push it wherever you want and git will be able to figure out
> what it actually needs to send.

Yeah, good point - explanation for that weird statement below...
although git isn't even "git friendly"...  ;-)

That is, the repo will grow in a pretty uncontrolled fashion until you
garbage collect... and then you get fantastic space efficiency.
However, on my NAS box with 128MB of RAM, garbaging collecting a large
git repo wasn't really a viable option.  :-(

So, if I could have efficiently used rsync to maintain the backup copy
on the NAS box then I would have been happy...

peace & happiness,
martin