[clug] Can't mount an encrupted backup file system

Brett Worth brett at worth.id.au
Sun Jun 10 23:41:56 MDT 2012

On 11/06/12 13:17, jhock wrote:
> Hi Brett,
>
> Thanks for your reply. Please see results and comments in line below:
>
> I then thought that I needed to add a luks key so I did:
>
> # cryptsetup luksAddKey /dev/sdd FRED
> # cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sdd FRED
>
> and still got:
>
> # cryptsetup status FRED
> /dev/mapper/FRED is inactive.

If you do a "cryptsetup luksDump /dev/sdc" it will show you what the encrypted device was
luksFormat'd with.

You can then do a "grep ^name /proc/crypto" and see what crypto algorithms are available.

You seem to have a mismatch.

The messages about access to /dev/bus/usb... is a puzzle.

Just to back up a bit...

Did you originally say you had an encrypted external hard disk you were trying to mount on
your new machine but can't?  All this playing with thumb drives is just so you don't break
the data on this disk while sorting out the problem?

I you could get a luksDump of the external disk that might help.

Brett
--