[clug] Can't mount an encrupted backup file system

Brett Worth brett at worth.id.au
Sun Jun 10 04:48:42 MDT 2012

On 10/06/12 17:25, jhock wrote:
> Hi David et al,
>
> I have been busy with work so today is the first I have been able to get
> back to this.
>
> I grabbed an old 1GB memory stick and was able to on the old eeePC
> (old):
>
> # cryptsetup luksAddKey /dev/sdc<passphrase>
> # cryptsetup luksOpen -d<passphrase>  /dev/sdc /media/BA21-890E

John,

The last option on this command is a name for the opened partition.  I'm not sure it would
like having "/" in this name because it implies that the dm would have to create a
directory in /dev/mapper.

Try doing:

# cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sdc FRED

You should get prompted for a passphrase at that point.

Then do:

# cryptsetup status FRED

And maybe:

# mount /dev/mapper/FRED /mnt