[clug] database backups with git

Martin Schwenke martin at meltin.net
Fri Jun 8 15:05:25 MDT 2012

On Fri, 08 Jun 2012 11:46:20 +1000, Robert Edwards <bob at cs.anu.edu.au>
wrote:

> Anyone else use a VCS for maintaining snapshots of backup files/logs?

I used git for a while with one of the (supposed) value-adding
front-ends - can't remember which, but git was the limiting factor.

It was OK but, as others have pointed out, trimming the backups isn't
one of git's strong points.

The other thing was that the repo grew a lot unless I garbage
collected.  After garbage collecting I was left with (I think) a single
pack...  and that wasn't rsync friendly.

I went back to hard-linked rsync-based backups a long time ago.  I've
been meaning to break up by MySQL backups into a file-per-table so that
it rsyncs better... but ENOTIME... and disk is relatively cheap...  :-)

peace & happiness,
martin