[clug] MythTV backend uncommunicative

Ian Munsie darkstarsword at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 02:49:44 MDT 2012

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 9:26 PM, Paul Wayper <paulway at mabula.net> wrote:
> The sound controls in MythTV indicate that the front end has a ALSA:hdmi
> device that it can put sound to.

<snip>

> The standard ALSA analogue audio, and the PulseAudio output, work - but they
> output to the standard audio output, not the HDMI.

Hey Paul,

Disclaimer: I haven't ever done this :/
All my below knowledge actually comes from getting PulseAudio to route to
anything BUT the HDMI that it uselessly decided to default to ;)

To get PulseAudio to route the audio out HDMI you need to run Pulse Audio
Volume Control (pavucontrol), and check:
1) In the configuration tab, check that the HDMI device is enabled and set to
   an appropriate profile (since you are using an nVidia graphics card this
   should show up as a separate device to your normal sound card).
2) In the playback tab, that the stream from MythTV is being routed to the HDMI
   device (you may first need to get MythTV to start playing something for it
   to appear in this tab).
3) There are also settings in the output devices tab that may be relevant.

I don't know whether this will solve your problem, since you note that
ALSA:hdmi doesn't work, and AFAIK PulseAudio will route to that.

Also, Appendix I in the nVidia driver documentation points to this document
which has a lot of troubleshooting info, known bugs, etc:
ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/gpu-hdmi-audio-document/gpu-hdmi-audio.html

Cheers,
-Ian

--
http://sites.google.com/site/DarkStarJunkSpace