[clug] unusual item in newspaper [O/T]

Angus Gratton gus at projectgus.com
Tue Jul 10 16:47:18 MDT 2012

On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 19:09:04 +1000
Eyal Lebedinsky <eyal at eyal.emu.id.au> wrote:

> I know that this may be a bit off topic but now very much so. I noted today near the IT section of The Australian this little item, in reasonably small print (see below).
>
> I thought this is an amazing opt-out offer, and cannot believe it makes any sense (request by snail mail???).
>
> I assume that it was put there to satisfy some legal requirement (it surely does not do anything else). Can anyone offer a clue as to what this thing is?

(At the risk of attracting ire for extending an O/T thread.)

IANAL but the clause seems to be for meeting News Ltd's Privacy Act
requirements. Perhaps they were asking for some personal
information somewhere else in the section (running a competition, maybe?
) Maybe it's just boilerplate they print in every paper?

I see things to do with Section 1 (Collection), Section 5 (Openness) &
Section 9b (consent to Trans-Border data flows) of the National Privacy
Principles [1].

>From what I understand the National Privacy Principles are the
non-legalese explanation of how to comply with the Privacy Act. For
what it's worth, I for one am glad Australian law requires companies
to declare these things.

- Angus

[1] http://www.privacy.gov.au/materials/types/infosheets/view/6583