[clug] mdadm and disk images.

tmc at vandradlabs.com.au tmc at vandradlabs.com.au
Mon Jan 9 13:59:04 MST 2012

Hi there

What RAID level of the set where the image is from?

AFAIK mdadm writes some "magic" to the device that is used as part of a
raid set. I would suggest that, if possible you dd out that data to
another disk and then use that. Otherwise you wousl have to abstract that
disk image as a device (FUSE could help) for mdadm to use, so that mdadm
can read/write into it, as it re-establishes the raidset, even if you
later mount it read only...

Cheers
Tomasz

On Tue, January 10, 2012 03:25, Andrew Janke wrote:
> Anyone know if you can make mdadm use an image of a
> "linux_raid_member" partition from a disk? The image was created with
> dd.
>
> ta

> --

Tomasz M. Ciolek
 tmc at vandradlabs dot com dot au
   GPG Key ID:          0x41C4C2F0
   GPG Key Fingerprint: 3883 B308 8256 2246 D3ED  A1FF 3A1D 0EAD 41C4 C2F0
   Key available on good key-servers