[clug] f14->f16 upgrade blues

Eyal Lebedinsky eyal at eyal.emu.id.au
Wed Feb 8 00:34:43 MST 2012

I have a f14 machine which I am upgrading to f16 the preugrade route.
Or at least I was trying last Saturday...

I got it to go through the motions up to the post-download reboot. At
this point it did *not* boot into f16 (brought up the old f14).
There was not even an upgrade grub entry to be found.

After some searching/reading I decided to install grub2 (seems not to
be strictly needed). I still needed to create the grub2/grub.cfg entry
by hand, no matter how many times I re-run preupgrade.

I now can boot the f16 upgrade kernel, however it does not manage to find
its file system. I also see an error after reading initrd where it complains
that it could not load the file (but it carries on with the boot process).
The boot fails because it uses my f14 root rather than the one in the squashfs
image included in the initrd.img file.

I had no trouble extracting the two cpio files (stored in initrd.img) and it
seems that grub2 is not successful extracting the two concatenated archives
here.

I found people listing an entry like this:
	linux /upgrade/vmlinuz preupgrade repo=hd::/var/cache/yum/preupgrade ks=hd:UUID=f9f345f0-39d7-4b2b-8ed0-57b25da62edf:/upgrade/ks.cfg
	initrd /upgrade/initrd.img
but the kernel asks for a 'root=' entry. I expected it to use a ramdisk with the
image provided in initrd.img (the second part). The UUID is for the /boot
partition.

Does anyone have a working grub2/grub.cfg file?

Any help or comment welcome.

cheers and TIA

--
Eyal Lebedinsky	(eyal at eyal.emu.id.au)