[clug] 2 factor authentication in an era of smartphones

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Mon Dec 10 16:38:10 MST 2012

On 10/12/12 16:22, Francis Markham wrote:
> Kim, you are in good company in your musing:
> http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2005/03/the_failure_of.html

Schneier writes:

"Two-factor authentication is not useless. It works for local login,
and it works within some corporate networks. But it won't work for
remote authentication over the Internet..."

Note that both the scenarios linked to are just pointing out that
there is no such thing as absolute security. Two-factor is an
authentication system, not a security system, and for authentication,
it has to be better than plain passwords.

But if your local system is compromised, smartphone or otherwise,
then stronger authentication is not going to help you at all.

If your bank (like mine) uses an SMS verification code for verifying
some new transactions, you (or your bank...) may want to make sure that
the device receiving the SMS code is not capable of launching an on-line
transaction (ie. it isn't "smart"). A case for "dumb phones" for making
phone calls and receiving SMS's separate to your smartphone/tablet (who
uses smartphones for making phone calls anyway?).

Bob Edwards.