[clug] [OT] all text passwords == secure?

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Mon Aug 27 18:29:30 MDT 2012

On 27/08/2012, at 23:31, steve jenkin <sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au> wrote:

> Sam Couter wrote on 27/08/12 9:41 PM:
>
>>> But concatenating full words is NOT one of the ways...
>> That's an overgeneralisation to the point that it's incorrect.
>
> In the context of the trivial example promoted by the article, for the
> audience it was intended for, I'll contend I'm right. It's a really bad
> example for people who don't understand nuance...

You think the specific example of “Mydogsandy” is a really bad example? Why?

Stringing many words together is more secure than arcane (esoteric/secret) constructions of characters: the goal is easy to remember, hard to guess. It becomes easier to steal the password cipher list and attack that using rainbow tables or whatever cool trick is being used today.

Alex