[clug] [OT] all text passwords == secure?

Sam Couter sam at couter.id.au
Mon Aug 27 05:41:36 MDT 2012

steve jenkin <sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
> The idea of picking something memorable and transforming it into a
> humanly processable form is good.
> But concatenating full words is NOT one of the ways...

That's an overgeneralisation to the point that it's incorrect.

Here's a method that uses a true hardware random number generator to
generate a passphrase from concatenating (mostly real) words:

http://world.std.com/~reinhold/diceware.html

Assuming the attacker knows (or guesses) you're using the diceware word
list:

Five words is better than an 8-character ASCII password, so that's an
improvement over the vast majority already.

Six words is roughly the same strength as a 12-character ASCII password
and much easier to remember.

If the attacker doesn't know or try the diceware list (dangerous
assumption to rely on), the passwords will take even longer to crack.

I think I agree with the statement "relying on passwords alone may no
longer be a good security measure" at:

http://cyberarms.wordpress.com/2010/10/21/cracking-14-character-complex-passwords-in-5-seconds/

Ignore the next retarded statement on that page about facial recognition.
Sam Couter         |  mailto:sam at couter.id.au