[clug] Passwords [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Ellis, Peter MR peter.ellis at defence.gov.au
Sun Aug 26 19:00:02 MDT 2012

UNCLASSIFIED

Okay, let's get semi-technical military.

A. The military sometimes uses a "one-time pad" system for simple operational security (OPSEC), involving a "covered vector" (COVEC).

This comes in several flavours, but the obvious one for this discussion is number/letter addition/subtraction.

i.e. put in a number/letter and get out a number to add/subtract to get the 'covered' number e.g. actual = 1; using the pad column for the period, get out 3; add 1+3=4.
e.g. actual = "dog"; using the pad column for the period, get out 3 (to add); get "grj" (three letters 'higher' in the alphabet).

The principle can be used quite effectively to create scrambled and seemingly random gibberish for "short-term" encryption of time-sensitive information that has no long-term sensitivity.

B. The other one I'll discuss: safe grids. Safes have numbers to open them, but people typically 'invent' a word or phrase then convert this to the numbers. A grid might look like this, or be 'slewed' (started down) by several lines.

1 ABC wx
2 DEF yz
3 GHI abc
4 JKL def